This feature allows users to write simultaneously and merge added text automatically. A collaborator will need to be a WriterDuet user in order to view the script, but it's free to join share requests.
Types of permissions:
- Admin Access- allows collaborator to edit script, view and change the outliner & scratchpad, add other collaborators (everything the creator is capable of accessing). The creator is still the only user that can delete the project.
- Read-Only Access – allows collaborator to view script only. No changes can be made.
- Static - This turns off real-time updates! Instead, the collaborator only gets updates to the doc when you go to Share > Update Static Collaborators. However, you'll still get their edits and comments in real-time. Can be great for getting feedback on a specific draft from a friend or writing group, without them seeing your continued work after the draft, or the comments/reviews that they are each leaving.
- Default Access - If neither of the above options are selected, collaborator is able to make changes to the script, outline, and scene cards. Cannot add collaborators or change access for other collaborators.
Inviting a collaborator to your script:
- Share > Share Script
- Enter email address of a new collaborator in the prompt field and hit Enter. Repeat for each collaborator you want to invite
- Add a personalized note to prospective collaborators below.
- Check the boxes to give each collaborator Admin Access or Read-only Access (default gives collaborator ability to edit script, but no ability to add or edit collaborators).
- Click Invite or hit Enter to Add Collaborators!
Note: Collaborator will receive an email with a link to the script. If they do not for any reason, try generating a link instead.
Generating a link:
This option is especially useful when adding collaborators outside of email (through social media, blog posts, etc.)
- Share > Share script
- Select the 'Generate Link' button at the bottom left of the popup.
- Select permission level (multi-use will allow the link to be used more than once).
- Copy and paste link.
Note: Collaborator will follow the received link to the project in WriterDuet.
Once a collaborator joins your project, they will appear in your Chat widget, and will forever be available to chat with under the Contacts section of Chat. If they appear only under Contacts and not in the main chat area, that means that they aren't shared on the project.
At this time, collaborators always join at the project level, so will be able to access all project docs under the Docs widget. The only exception is for Static collaborators, who will only see Docs that have been updated for them from by being the open doc when the user navigates to Share > Update Static Collaborators.